Sign-up to be the first to hear the latest conference announcements!
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Date: Thursday, November 8, 2018
Theatre: Convention Center, Room 409A
Talking to Staff and Building an Internal Culture: Developing the right technical skill sets for staff is critical, but it is the strategic cultivation of culture that distinguishes cities that let data-informed practices take root from those that let them die on the vine. Cities that build commitment and culture are more likely to realize… Read more »NLC City Summit
- Talking to Staff and Building an Internal Culture: Developing the right technical skill sets for staff is critical, but it is the strategic cultivation of culture that distinguishes cities that let data-informed practices take root from those that let them die on the vine. Cities that build commitment and culture are more likely to realize results, whether it’s better stewardship of taxpayer dollars, increasing positive outcomes for residents, or building authentic engagement with the community. Yet building culture is extremely challenging and requires consistent, visible demonstrations of leadership commitment. At What Works Cities, we have observed the power of leadership-driven culture-building so much so that it lies at the heart of our Certification program. In this workshop, learn from Results for America about how your city can build a data-positive culture through long-term strategies as well as small-input, big-impact steps your city can take immediately. You will also learn from tactical examples from other cities.
- Engaging Key Stakeholders: Cities that identify and effectively engage key stakeholders—both internally and externally—are better at communicating the value of their data and evidence programs, developing programs informed by a diversity of perspectives, as well as ensuring the continuity of that work across leadership transitions. These cities also excel at cultivating influential data champions who can garner deeper community support for the local government’s efforts. Hear from Results for America about how your city can redesign its stakeholder engagement strategy, cultivate a sense of inclusion and ownership among stakeholders, and generate long-term data and evidence allies. You will learn empathy-building techniques as well as tools to clarify stakeholder influence and interest prioritization and infuse impact as part of engagement. You will also learn from tactical examples from other cities.
- How to Talk about Your Data-Informed Government: As local governments adopt best practices around using data and evidence, leaders that communicate ongoing progress create opportunities not only to celebrate accomplishments but also to engage residents, staff, and local thought leaders who can reinforce and expand those efforts. Hear from Results for America about how to progress toward What Works Cities Certification by adopting a communications mindset that goes beyond sharing big wins to creating an ongoing dialogue about your city’s data work. You’ll learn from examples of cities and leaders communicating their work effectively and have a chance to try out some of your new learnings.
Credits: 3 | Level: 201
NLC University seminars are not included in the standard conference fee. Add seminars to your basket during registration to enroll. Already registered for the conference? Log in to your profile and simply add seminars to your account.
- Kristin Taylor Senior Communications Manager - What Works Cities
- Molly Daniell Senior Manager - Results for America, What Works Cities